Modern Mama Contributor guidelines
We’re on the hunt for fabulous writers for ModernMama.com. Have a read below and then apply here! We ask that our contributors commit to a minimum of 6 articles that may or may not be related to one another to be listed on our site as a contributor.
1 | Expert – You are a parenting expert, doctor, consultant, nurse, specialist, or other professional passionate about parenting, babies and family. Benefits of writing for us include increasing your expert status, linking back to your site to grow your customer base and making new connections in your profession.
2 | Scout – You are a savvy mom. They most savvy in fact. You’re the mom in the know – all the local openings, the best baby products, the latest online trends and what’s really going on. We invite you write about what is happening in your ‘hood, online and in current events, product or place reviews or even just links you love and want to share.
3 | Everyday Modern Mama – You like to write about your experiences as a mom, everyday stories. You may even have your own blog that you would like to promote.
Workbook – ideas, advice, tips, how-to, projects
Mavens – scouting for new businesses (kid friendly, coffee shops, toy stores, boutiques, spas) products, baby gear, reviews, links you love, celebrity mom news
Everyday Mama – stories and experiences about being a mother
• Submission of a single guest post does not guarantee publication. Your submission will be reviewed and if it will benefit Modern Mama’s readers, it is likely to be published.
• Word count: 300 – 500 words is preferred. The maximum word count is 700. (If you aren’t sure what your word count is, the Word Count Tool is handy: http://www.wordcounttool.com/)
• Posts with bullet points or numbered posts are the most popular (ie 5 things…). This keep articles to-the-point and quick to read.
• Posts end with a brief author’s bio that links to the site (or sites) of the author’s choice.
• Links back to your own blog or site should be modest and fit the content of your post. Make sure any links in your post are relevant and valid. Links deemed to be irrelevant to the main idea of your post or excessive links will be removed without notice.
• Preference will be given to those who demonstrate a genuine interest in Modern Mama as a reader, member, speaker, perks partner or follower. Submissions with a “visit my site” or “check out my product” type feel will not be accepted. Likewise, submissions which appear to be strictly PR- or SEO-related will not be accepted.
• Posts must be high-quality, original content (i.e. not published anywhere else online).
• We reserve the right to edit your submission for brevity, grammar, readability, and sometimes for meaning. If too much editing is required to make the post useful, it will not be published.
• You retain the copyright to your writing, but once it’s submitted to Modern Mama, we reserve the right to use and refer to it.