The time is ticking, you are getting prepared for the baby, you are all registered at the hospital…wait you still need to pack your hospital bag!
No need to panic, the trick is just creating a list, running down that list, and checking it off. Whatever you don’t have, well you can purchase, or send someone to grab for you (if you are at that, I really don’t want to go shopping part of your pregnancy).
It’s always important to have the essential you and your newborn will need. The hospital may (or may not) provide some items, however, if you pack the basic necessities, you will be fine. It’s easy to get carried away, but remember, if all goes well you really may only be there for a short stay. No need to take a large amount of “extras” at this point. Once you have a bag packed, have it placed in an accessible and visible area (i.e. close to your front door, or better yet in the trunk of your car). Doing so, when the time comes you are not only packed, but you are not going to forget it.
Here is a list of everything you will need to pack. So don’t worry about doing it from scratch (we have you covered).
- 2-3 Sleepers
- 2 Receiving blankets
- Baby hat (sometimes hospitals provide this)
- Diapers and wipes (no need to take many, the hospital should provide at least some)
- Baby’s coming home outfit of choice / Hospital photo outfit
Personal Items for Self
- Warm socks
- Pillow from home for you (make sure it’s a patterned fabric so it doesn’t get left behind!)
- Pillow/blanket for partner (if someone will stay over)
- Toiletries (toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, soap, comb, light make-up if wanted)
- Nursing bra and Underwear
- Pajamas / Robe
- Outfit (for when you leave the hospital)
- Nursing cover/pillow (optional)
- Feminine Hygiene Pads (the hospital may provide this, but good to pack 1 or 2 in case)
- Water bottle (recommend a tumbler with a straw so someone can hold it for you while in labour)
- Snacks (nuts, granola bars, fruit bars)
- Cell phone charger
- Hair ties
Pack away and you should be good to go! Good luck mama!
*Images by Shutterstock